Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Starting to Notice a Difference

Last night my 5K training did NOT happen outside.  It was still 90 degrees when I got home from work so there was no way I was going to attempt to run outside.  I didn't let that deter me though, I walked in the door, went straight upstairs, changed into my gym clothes, had some yogurt, got Chris and headed to the gym.  It seemed that every treadmill that we got on was broke!  We tried starting our workout on 3 different machines before we finally found some that worked.  Time for the gym to fix those machines!  I'm still on the first phase of the 5K training which is a 5 minute warm up, 60 seconds of jogging followed by 90 seconds of brisk walking on and off for 20 minutes and then a 5 minute cool down.  I noticed that my walking pace and my jogging pace are increasing and I'm still able to continue which is awesome.

Little did Chris know that I had gone onto the gyms website earlier in the day to see what classes they offered last night.  There was a new one that looked interesting that I wanted to try.  I was a little nervous to try it though, but I think I'm gaining confidence in going to classes since I've been using my Groupon at the other gym.  It was 7:20 pm when we finished our treadmill workout and I asked Chris how long he wanted to stay at the gym (once he's at the gym he will literally stay there until I drag him out) and his response was "until I'm tired."  So I told him there was a class at 7:30 that I was thinking about taking, which was an hour long, and he was all for me going.  So I went and stood in line (classes at Xsport fill up SO fast) and waited for the class to start.

The class is called WERQ.  It's described as "a fiercely fun dance fitness class based on pop, rock and hip hop music.  The warm-up previews the dance steps that will be used in class and the cool down includes balance and yoga-inspired poses.  Everything in between is just pure fun!  Are you ready to WERQ?"  It was a LOT of fun.  Kind of Zumba-ish but more actual dancing.  It was a sweaty, hard, fun workout.  I literally had to wipe my face after each song because I was dripping in sweat :)  There were a few times I almost gave up, but I just kept saying to myself "just wait one more song" and then the next song would be a song I loved so that motivated me to stay.

A few months ago I would never have been running on a treadmill and I especially wouldn't suggest taking a class after already having worked out.  I am actually starting to enjoy this.  I think what's really making this stick this time is the variety in it all.  It's not all just elliptical/treadmill then weights.  It's different kinds of classes, training for the 5K, personal goals I'm setting for myself for my calories on my heart rate monitor, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment