Thursday, January 17, 2013

Smart snacks

I'm looking for new snack alternatives.  As I look at what I'm wasting my calories on, I'm realizing that it's not keeping me full very long.  For example a few weeks ago I made snack packs of carrots, green peppers and celery.  They were good to grab on the go, but I was getting hungry again not too long after eating them. This week I started just doing the celery but adding peanut butter.  I actually use "Better N Peanut Butter" http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php  It only has 100 calories for 2 tablespoons as opposed to Jiff which is 190.  It tastes like peanut butter but the consistency is not like it at all.  Takes some time to get used to.  Rusty told us about Whole Foods all natural peanut butter, they have a machine there that grinds the peanuts and that's all that comes out.  I went there the other day to get some, but saw that it was 220 calories per 2 tablespoons.  So the jury is still out on which peanut butter I will go with, but the point is by adding it to the celery it keeps me fuller longer and reminds me of my Grandpa Scheel :)

I also came across this link for healthy snacks under 200 calories.  http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/40-crunchy-and-creamy-healthy-snack-ideas-under-200-calories so I'll be checking those out as well.  Anyone have any go to snacks?




5 comments:

  1. Almonds
    Walnuts
    Sunflower Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fiber one oats and chocolate bars - 140 cal - 35 fat cal. Costco sells them in bulk

    ReplyDelete
  3. All nuts are great- but they are high in calories. It is fine if you are counting carbs and not calories. (overall - high protein, low carb atkins type diet) But if you count calories alone, they are a killer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my cheater snacks...when I have a sweet tooth I like the dark chocolate pomegranates from Costco - come in snack packs...for a salty snack I like the Kelloggs special K sour cream and onion cracker chips - they sell them everywhere - 27 chips for 110 cals w/ 3 gram fiber....if you double it with 54 chips for 220 cals it's like having a big bowl of chips + 6 grams of fiber. Cheese sticks and light greek yogurt are good snacks as well. I never did like raw veges as snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I ever said thank you for all of the snack ideas!

    ReplyDelete