Friday, January 4, 2013

My Fitness Pal and food

This time last year Chris and I started a "Biggest Loser" competition with our friends Eric and Ann.  Eric kicked all of our butts!!  He's my weight loss hero :)  In 2012 Eric lost 60+ lbs and he's still going.  Seeing him and how great he's done is part of my motivation, thanks EPH!!  When we started the competition we started using the My Fitness Pal app.  It's AMAZING.  You can download it on your phone and/or tablet.  You can also access it just by going to www.myfitnesspal.com  It helps so much with keeping yourself in check.  It makes me second guess myself before putting food in my mouth because I look it up first.

Here's how it works, when you eat you log into your account and look up the food you've had.  Now you can do something as simple as type in "apple" and it will come up with all of the different types of apples and their nutritional information.  If you have a specific brand, you can type that in.  For example, yesterday I had Kraft Free Italian Dressing.  If you type that in the search box it brings everything up for you - calories, carbs, protein, fat, etc.  Then it calculates it for the day.  One of my favorite features is if you're using your phone you can scan the bar code on the package and it automatically brings up all of the information.  You can also create recipes (I did this for my egg mcmuffin from yesterday) and then it assigns the nutritional information to it and if you eat it again at a different time you don't have to enter everything in again.  It even has restaurant information, so if I'm out at Lone Star and I get a side salad and chicken breast I can find that in there.  That's helped me more than once change my order while we were out.  You can also track all of your exercise and water.  I sound like a commercial for my fitness pal :)

Anyway, the reason for my rant, I'm going to use my fitness pal again to start tracking again.  I'm going to use that to post on here what I ate the day before.  Lunch usually looks like a ton because I'm eating a salad, so I put each individual ingredient in there depending on what's in the fridge that day.  You'll see pop on there from yesterday.  I'm going to make an effort to cut pop out of my diet as well.  I'm not sure I can cut out both pop and coffee, so I'm sticking with my morning coffee however it's black - no cream, no sugar.  I do put a little (no more than a teaspoon) sugar free syrup in it, but I'm trying to cut back on that as well.

My fitness pal warned me yesterday that I ate to little, HA I don't think that's happened for a few months!  I know I need to up the calories a little bit and I will as I get more into the swing of things and start working out again.  Speaking of that, we're going to the gym this weekend, but will be taking baby steps there :)  So here is my food for yesterday.

 Thanks for reading!  xoxo Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment