Thursday, March 28, 2013

Salad Dressing

So if you keep up with what I eat on a daily basis, you'll see a LOT of salads.  I usually have one for lunch everyday.  I get the pre-washed lettuce, throw it in a tupperware and add veggies and usually some sort of protein (tuna, ham, egg, etc.)  What I've been doing lately is buying a bad of mixed veggies (usually broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) and then cutting them up and using that in my salad.  The best part of a salad is the dressing right?  :)  I usually go with a "free" dressing from Kraft.  I try and find the lowest calories, fat free, low sugar, etc.  Part of the problem with those dressings though are the added chemicals and things they put in them.

As you know I love the Biggest Loser.  Well a few seasons back Hannah and Olivia (sisters) were the runner up and winner.  I LOVE them.  They have a website that I recently came across (http://myfitspiration.com/) that has a ton of great videos, inspiration, etc.  I just watched one that they talked about salad dressing.  Hannah recommends Bolthouse Farms dressings.  She said that the Salsa Ranch is her favorite and it's only 35 calories for 2 tablespoons.  That's a little more than my Kraft Free (I think it's around 25) but I really get sick of Italian dressing sometimes.

Olivia says that she likes to make her own dressing and the recipe sounds easy to make and yummy!  It's listed below.  Without adding oil is ZERO calories, now that's my kind of dressing!  If you do add the oil it's 42 calories, still not all that bad.  


Recipe1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
Dash of garlic powder
1/2 tbsp (or to taste) red wine vinegar (or vinegar of your choice)
1 tsp olive oil **optional**
Do you have any go to dressings that you love?  If so, let me know in the comments, I'm always looking for new ideas.  Thanks!


1 comment:

  1. I am totally with you on making your own dressing. I've been told that not all calories are alike. When making choices, Someone suggested (I don't remember who) to multiply the fat calories by 7 - so I treat the 42 calories more like 300.

    The passage I've selected for this week is from Paul in Philippains 4: 12b-13
    I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry - whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

    Can't wait to see you on Easter.

    ReplyDelete