Thursday, June 13, 2013

Planes, Trains and Automobiles!

That was my life yesterday!  I was in NYC Mon - Wed this week.  I HAD to be back in Chicago today for a very important meeting with the CEO of our parent company.  If you live in Chicago you know that they were calling for a weather apocalypse!  When I checked on my flight out of NYC that was scheduled for 8:55 pm was already delayed by 2 hours so I called our corporate travel department and asked them to try to get me on an earlier flight, which they did!!  So I got to the airport with plenty of time to spare, boarded my flight and then we sat there for almost 45 minutes before we took off.  We were 30 minutes outside of Chicago (I had a flight tracker on my iPad) and all of the sudden we made a left turn, and started heading south and an hour was added onto the travel time.  I thought "this can't be good".  Captain comes over the mic and says we're being diverted to Louisville.  I thought it was a mean joke, of all places Louisville!  I mean we were passing over Indy at the time, why didn't we go there!  So we landed.............and sat on the plane.  There were 10 other Southwest planes that had also been diverted from Midway to Louisville and only 3 Southwest gates.  When we finally got to the gate they told us that our flight was cancelled to Chicago and we needed to talk to a ticket person to try and get home.  Well that ticket person said it may be two days before we got home, so I did what a lot of others did and ran to the rental car place and got one of the last available cars.

I plugged my phone in, pulled up the GPS, called Chris and started the almost 5 hour drive home.  I got home just before 1.  Chris talked to me the whole way home and even acted as my weather tracker to let me know when I'd hit storms....or blobs (on the computer screen) as we call them.  He was a great co-pilot even though it was over the phone.  He kept me updated on not only the weather, but also the score of the Hawks game!  Go Hawks!  So I made it home, took a quick 6 hour nap and made it to the office in time for my meeting!  Thank you honey for being the best husband ever!

In other news, today would have been my Grandma Barry's 90th birthday.  This afternoon we're (my mom, aunts, cousin and Papa) carrying on a tradition of meeting at the cemetery to have champagne and appetizers with her before going to her favorite restaurant for dinner.  Happy Birthday Tone!  Have an extra splash today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment