Thursday, May 23, 2013

Can I Zumba Again?

Before we got married and I was trying to lose weight to fit into my dress, I went to Zumba at least once a week.  I loved it!  Anything that involves music and dancing, I'm in.  In fact I asked Chris the other day if music had the same effect on him that it did on me?  I can alter my mood just by putting on certain music.  I am always singing along to the radio (sorry honey that you have to listen to that all the time, lol), looking for new songs to add on to my workout playlist, etc.  Music really does have the ability to get me going, on the flip side - if I'm in a bad/sad mood it can also put me deeper into that mood.  I assumed it had that effect on everyone, but Chris said that while it can make him feel aggressive while working out (not in a bad way, in a pump him up go get mad and lift more kind of way) it doesn't alter his mood to make him more happy, sad, etc.  

So anyway back to Zumba.  The combo of the upbeat music and dancing made the workouts fly by and fun.  I haven't done a class though in a very long time.  I have gained a pretty significant amount since my last class, so I'm worried about going back.  While I was at the gym last night I intentionally went to one of the machines that was by the group fitness room.  I knew Zumba started at 6:30.  I didn't go in, but I watched for about 10 minutes (while still working out of course).  I wanted to go in, but my nerves got the best of me.  I'm a little apprehensive about trying to do another class until I lose some of this weight.  This weight (or perhaps I should say my mindset at this weight) is stopping me from doing the two workouts I love the most - Zumba and swimming.  I know, I know I should just get back into it (especially swimming) but I don't want to embarrass myself, give myself a heart attack or injure myself by trying to do these with so much weight on.  So the new mini-goal is to lose a bit more weight so that I can do the stuff I like to do and will want to keep doing to lose more weight!

    

1 comment:

  1. I still need help understanding your logic that you have to lose weight and get in shape to swim. Swim at your own pace. THAT is the workout to assist in the weight loss. Gradually gain speed and/or distance as you get in better shape; the same as running, biking, lifting weights, etc!

    ReplyDelete